Glow in the Dark Stars

Glow in the Dark Stars

Postby Comrad » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:03 pm

I know this sounds stupid, but hear me out...

I have glow in the dark stars on my bedroom ceiling, and fitting them would easily be one of the coolest home improvement projects I've done at my house. These are not the sort of things kids have in their bedrooms, they're ultra bright handmade stars, with different sizes and luminosities. When patterned correctly, they give the effect of a true night sky. Some of them are large and bright, giving the effect of nearby blue giants, where as others are small and faded, and you don't really see them until your eyes have adjusted to the dark. They also have a translucent bubble over them so that light refracts differently depending on what direction you look at them from. They're pretty amazing. I've had them for about 6 months now, and I still get a kick out of them.

Maybe I'm more of a space nerd than you guys, but I love this stuff. I routinely spend evenings on my back lawn with a bottle of whiskey, and my dog by my side looking up at the stars and freaking myself out thinking about how far away they are (my dog is even named after an astrophysicist). Whilst these glow in the dark stars don't compare to the real thing, they're a pretty decent substitute, whilst still letting me sleep inside. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I've attached an image which I didn't take, its off the website of the guy who makes them. I don't have a camera which is able to photograph them properly. The photo is very similar to the effect in my bedroom. If anyone's into it, you should check out the website.

http://www.theglowpatch.com/
Attachments
XVRStar-ceiling.JPG
(20.84 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Comrad

Re: Glow in the Dark Stars

Postby LeeMorgan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:54 pm

It would be cool if they were setup to show the pattern of the night sky as well. Like the big dipper, etc. Where everything goes. To be honest, if it came with a protractor and a pattern of laying them out (Like 20" from polaris at 30 degrees), you might end up memorizing the constellations just through setting them up.
LeeMorgan

Postby Comrad » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:54 pm

I did have noble goals of doing that initially, but when you're putting up 700 stars, standing on your bed, with your head craned up, you get pretty sick of it pretty quickly. The hard part is adjusting scale to fit the dimensions of your room, and deciding what part of the night sky you want to show. I ended up just going for a random pattern, and have since invented my own constellations.
Comrad

Postby skornita » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:27 am

That's a pretty neat idea. I guess I never put a lot of thought into glow in the dark stars. I guess I figured there were only those cheap childish ones.
skornita
Site Admin

Return to Home improvement