Small side businesses

Talk about anything here

Small side businesses

Postby Comrad » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Listening to Jeff's podcast about his corn business on the side was really cool for me. I really like the idea of having a side business of my own as a means of additional entrepreneurial income, but I've really struggled to come up with something that I would enjoy/be able to make profitably without sinking an enormous amount of time into.

Winter is approaching on this side of the globe, so I'm starting to sell firewood for cash since I have access to some excellent firewood grounds near my work, that should provide a bit of cash, I'm hoping to be able to sell enough over the season to be able to afford a new top of the line Stihl/Husqvarna chainsaw. I'm using a Husqvarna 136 at the moment, and while its a good little saw, I really want something with more power.

I'm also considering getting my UAV drone license and operating an aerial photography business on the side for real estate companies, and whatnot, but, it has a fairly high capital cost for licenses and whatnot of about $12 000, so I'm a little bit hesitant with that one.

Does anyone else have any cool ideas that they've come up with for side businesses? I'm keen to hear your thoughts.
Comrad

Re: Small side businesses

Postby LeeMorgan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:23 am

A friend of mine started a hot pepper seed company selling seeds (packets), plants, peppers and hot pepper foods. (www.peppernorth.com). He gets the pepper seeds in bulk and then divides them up and creates collections since no one really needs 10,000 seeds in a box.

Seeds are a low investment item
plants can be grown on site with the ability to expand the business with a greenhouse

He started with the seeds and plants and then expanded into pre-made foods like chocolate and honey, which have a higher overhead after he established his business.
LeeMorgan

Re: Small side businesses

Postby Comrad » Mon May 04, 2015 1:02 am

I like the idea of repackaging and selling items like that, it seems super easy, and with lower capital expenditure. I just worry about my ability to find a market for the things that I would repackage. Its great that your friend has identified a viable market like that.
Comrad

Return to General discussion