(134.18 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
hugel 1 (300x225).jpg
(148.2 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
LostSkillsPodcast
Site Admin

Re: hugelkultur

Postby Comrad » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:25 am

Very nice.

I have a semi woody bed thing going on at the moment. When I moved into my house, there was a bit of a play area covered in gravel and a sand pit, etc... for the children of the previous owner. I turned the sand pit into a chicken yard, and put 8 6'x'4 raised garden beds in for growing vegetables (I have perennials, herbs, etc... in separate, in-ground beds). When it came time to fill them with top soil, it would have cost about $500, which would have sucked pretty hard. Luckily, when I was down at the local rubbish tip, I saw that they offered composted green waste for $10 a trailer load. whilst the smaller leaves and whatnot had turned to rich dark humus, the larger branches that had been mulched still existed as wood chips. The effect is about a 50/50 mix of wood chips and composted soil. The wood chips act like my woody bed sponges, and they work to fantastic effect. As a bonus, it meant that I only had to pay $40 for soil instead of $500.

I have my beds set up on PLC based irrigation, which is actually fantastic. I put micro sprinklers on 4 times a day for 3 minutes. The 2 cycles during the middle of the day, whilst its frowned upon, only uses a couple of liters of water, and it protects my plants from wilting during the day in the middle of summer (it gets pretty hot in Australia).

I like the cardboard mulch, does it ever dry out and go hard? I'm a big fan of sugar cane mulch, myself.
Comrad

Postby LostSkillsPodcast » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:28 am

No,the cardboard doesn't dry out very much. A little on the top but if you pick up the cardboard it is usually very wet under there.
It holds the moisture very well and it is very cheap to do. I got all of my cardboard for free from where I work.
LostSkillsPodcast
Site Admin

Postby LeeMorgan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:53 am

I have read a lot into hugelkultur beds (I have Sepp's book), but since where I live gets a lot of moisture, I don't really see the need for a hugelkultur bed. I think it has to do with where you live and the space you have for them. My garden is quite small since I live downtown in a semi-detached.

I am in the process of dividing my front garden up into 4' wide raised beds, but that is more about keeping foot traffic off the bed and making it look nice enough. Toronto has bylaws about growing what they consider "weeds" over 8" tall. They can come in, clean up your garden and charge you for it. I had far more wildlife in my garden before I weeded.
LeeMorgan

Return to Gardening